Tuesday, January 9, 2007

SOLO

Dec 23, 2006


The Search is over…..I have finally gone solo. PILOT…..me, wow has a nice ring to it.
After a long wait the day has finally arrived. Countless days of practicing the traffic pattern, numerous chair flying hours later. I must say all definitely worth it.
It was a Saturday (also Hanumanji’s day) and therefore there was veryy little traffic. Hobson booked me on N67474 and I did the preflight. He hopped in next to me and we did 2 circuits around the pattern. We then taxied back to school , clicked a few pic’s , he wished me good luck and off I went. I called the ATC “ Gillespie ground Cessna 67474, at Anglo with info K, request Taxi 27 Left ….student pilot on 1st solo”. Got the taxi and takeoff approval and I was ready for take off.
Telling myself to calm down and remember all the procedures…..and follow the checklist.
I was lined up on the runway and then cleared for takeoff…..
Full throttle………… engine t’s and p’s in the green…………… airspeed alive……… rotate at 50 and takeoff.
That’s how quick it happened …..and then the nerves started calming down. Suddenly everything was falling into place ( except the fact that the aircraft was climbing much faster than normal…..now that hobson wasn’t in it any more). Turned crosswind ....landing checks, levelled off at 1400, turned downwind and reported position. I came in for my landing and the nerves started to creep back in….. there was a slight cross wind and the aircraft was drifting slightly. Minor adjustments to keep the aircraft aligned with the runway. The airspeed was a perfect 60 and I was on the glide slope…..just above the numbers ….parallel with the runway ….felt the ground effect kick in ….and flare….. Touch down….as smooth as that. Nilesh and Hobson were recording it on my camera (am attaching the link to youtube) and u can hear nilesh say nice landing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wf8QbFB2ArA

Well did another go around and came to a full stop on the third landing.
Taxied back to Anglo and Hobson, Nilesh,Robertson and Paolo were waiting for me.
They all congratulated me and then came the customary celebration. I was asked to kneel and kiss the ground for making it back in one piece…as soon as I did that hobson and nilesh dunked 2 buckets of ice cold water and god knows what else on me. Man it was cold. Have that on you tube aswell.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npiIVuaMU_Q

No comments: